Frequently asked questions

What is Homes for Wells?

Homes for Wells is an Independant Provident Society and is registered with the Homes and Communities Agency as a Non-Profit Registered Provider of Social Housing.

It was set up to help provide affordable housing, accommodation and assistance to the local community of Wells. 

Is there priority given to particular people?

Yes, applications are prioritised according to suitability to the property on offer, connection and service to the community. Please see the Application Form for more details.

Who can apply?

Applications are invited from HfW Keyworkers or people who live in Wells, Warham, Wighton, Holkham or Stiffkey (on a full time basis for the past 5 years or for 5 years full time in the past). 

What is a HfW Keyworker?

A Homes for Wells Keyworker is a person in an occupation or working in a voluntary capacity who provides an essential service to the community of Wells, Warham, Wighton, Holkham and Stiffkey, with many on low wages needing help to find housing.  Key Workers are assisted in accessing housing because if they cannot afford housing locally they will move, leaving essential services understaffed.

How do I apply?

Print off an Application Form complete and return to:

Homes for Wells, The Sackhouse, Jicklings Yard, Wells, Norfolk NR23 1AU

Forms are also available from The Sackhouse (behind the Maltings in Staithe Street).

What happens next?

You will receive a letter informing you if you have been accepted on the HfW accommodation list.  If you have been successful we will contact you when a suitable property becomes available.

What if my application is declined?

We will have very limited housing stock so we will have to adhere to fairly strict criteria and prioritise our applications.  Should your circumstances change in the future we would welcome a new application.

What if I am already renting in the Wells area?

Even if you are already living in a property you may still apply, as long as you fall within the criteria required.

How can I help Homes for Wells?

As we are a charitable society we rely on donations (large & small), fundraising, gifts/legacies and committee membership.  If you can offer any support (financial or in person) then please contact us.

Where do I send donations?

All donations are appreciated no matter how small.  Cheques can be made payable to ‘Homes for Wells', and sent to:  Homes for Wells, The Sackhouse, Jicklings Yard, Wells-next-the-Sea, Norfolk, NR23 1AU.  For further information click here

Can Homes for Wells claim Gift Aid?

Yes, if you pay income tax in the UK then please complete a declaration form which will enable us to claim £2.80 on every £10 donated.  If you are a higher rate taxpayer for every £100 we will receive an additional £28.20 plus you can claim a further 18% on the gross donation. 
For further information click here

Can I leave Homes for Wells something in my will?

Yes, you can leave money, goods and/or property.  All are welcome.  Any gift to charity is exempt from Inheritance Tax.  For further information click here

If I decide to let my property through Homes for Wells, will it cost me anything?

The Society does not charge for finding a tenant for a property but should a Landlord require additional services eg: tenancy agreements, inventories or full management of the property then charges will be incurred.  For further details of the services offered please click here.